All classes will be available for access starting Wednesday, September 16th at 12:01AM!
- Alan Bibey: Old Ebeneezor Scrooge; Monroe(isms) to End Your Breaks; Lonesome Moonlight Waltz
- Casey Campbell: East TN Blues (w/Alan O’Bryant); Classic Kickoffs & Fills; Double-stops From Bottom to Top
- Mike Compton: Warming Up/Getting Ready to Play; Playing in the Cracks; Big Mon; Roanoke
- John Keith: Lochwood; In Despair; G-Mon
- Mark Royal: Pattern 1: Two Note Moveable Chop Chords; Pattern 2: Moveable Two Note Chop Chords
- Adam Tanner: The Skillet Lickers Sessions; Monroe Brothers: Part 1; Monroe Brothers: Part 2
- Alan O’Bryant: Ladies & Gentlemen! Lower Your 4th String!; Two Finger Melodic Style; East TN Blues
- Laura Orshaw: High (and Low) Lonesome Double-stops; Bowing Patterns; Exploring Fiddle Backup Techniques
- Fiddle & Banjo
- Aynsley Porchak & James McDowell: The Bluegrass Breakdown; Follow the Leader; From the Barn Dance to Bluegrass
- Guitar & Vocal Harmony
- Robert Montgomery: Stylistic Breaks in 1950’s Tunes w/Merle Travis; Elementary Building Blocks to Guitar Playing-To Capo or Not; It’s All in the Right Hand: Thumb Pick vs. Flat Pick
- Mississippi Chris Sharp & Piper Sharp Myers: Vocal Harmony, Part 1 & Part 2
- Upright Bass
- Cary Black: The Walking Bass, Accurate Timekeeping, Beyond the Root & Fifth
- Souvenirs From the Road:
- Raymond Huffmaster: Part 1, 2 & 3
ZOOM ELECTIVE GATHERINGS: (All online gatherings are in EASTERN DAYLIGHT TIME and access codes will be available once registered and logged in to your account!)
- 10:00 – 10:55 am EDT – Welcome to (M)Online Coffee Hour. Let’s reconnect over zoom, share some smiles and stories what has been happening this past year, and CONNECT in person!
- 3:00 – 4:00 pm EDT – Bass Chat Space w/ Cary Black. here is the space to consider all things bass: technique, timekeeping, theory, gear, ear training, practice skills, stage tips; or anything else related to the art and craft of Bluegrass Bass.
- 7:00 – 8:00 pm EDT – Evening Jam w/Robert Montgomery. Robert will lead us in our first online jam of the season.
- 10:00 – 11:00am EDT – Band Dynamics, and The Art of the Recording Process, and “Ask Alan Anything” w/Alan Bibey
- 3:00 – 4:00 pm EDT – Constructing Solos for Banjo Tunes w/Alan O’Bryant This is the perfect gathering to ask questions about specific songs/tunes…and if you don’t have your banjo with you, you can hum the tune to get Alan started!
- 7:00 – 8:00 pm EDT – Evening Jam w/Laura Orshaw Alternating between fiddle and guitar, Laura will lead us in a jam, using a suggested jam ‘set list’ for everyone to join in.
- 10:00 – 10:55 am EDT – The Unique & Individual Stylings of Monroe’s Fiddlers w/Aynsley Porchak. With discussion and demonstration, Aynsley will present how different fiddlers in Monroe’s band approached bow pressure, rosin choices, phrases with timing, and so many more intricacies that gave them each their own unique fiddle voice and style.
- 11:00 – 11:55 am EDT – Baker/Monroe tunes w/Adam Tanner & Aynsley Porchak. Adam & Aynsley partner together for a seminar centered around examining three tunes that Baker and Monroe play different, but that share the same basic melodic and rhythmic structure…a compare and contrast examination and discussion.
- 12:00 – 12:55 pm EDT – Banjo Styles Incorporated w/James McDowell. Using Rudy Lyle, Earl Scruggs, and Don Reno as examples, James will be showing how to incorporate different banjo styles in a Monroe-style tune.
- 7:00 – 8:00 pm EDT – Open Forum Gathering Happy Hour! It’s the end of the week…kick off your shoes, grab your favorite libation (or apple juice!), and let’s gather for some connection! (Sorry we can’t provide the drinks this year!)
- 11:00 – 11:55 am EDT – The Power of Downstrokes w/John Keith. Using Bluegrass Twist as a demonstration, this is a detailed guide and Q&A about everything downstroke related-technique, how to get in and out of them, and a thorough how to.
- 12:00 – 12:55 pm EDT – Practice Techniques w/Adam Tanner. Ahhhh, the meditative pursuit of practicing! Adam will share philosophy and techniques as relates to Monroe Style mandolin, including exercises, technical tips, practicing with efficiency, and so much more!
- 3:00 – 4:00 pm EDT – Roundtable Discussion – Monroe’s style (and first-generation bluegrass ) for Future Generations w/Casey Campbell, Laura Orshaw, and guests. This gathering is a discussion how we blend traditional styles with modern techniques and ideas. Part of MMC is also about providing a forum for understanding and using traditional ideas to play contemporary sounds. We’ll dive into the gray area of taking something old and making it new by adding a personal take on it.
- 7:30 – 8:00 pm EDT – Happy Hour Pre-Concert Premier Gathering
- 8:00 – it ends…EDT – Premier 2020 Instructor Concert Movie Event