Howdy folks. It is my pleasure to welcome you to the 10th Annual Monroe Mandolin Camp!
What do Jimmy Martin, Rudy Lyle, Vassar Clements, Ernie Newton, Tommy Jackson, Carter Stanley, Gordon Terry, Edd Mayfield, Charlie Cline, Sonny Osborne, Bobby Hicks, Bessie Lee Mauldin, Joe Stuart, Dale Potter, Kenny Baker, Jack Cooke, Joe Drumright, Robert Pennington, Chick Stripling, Don Stover, Doug Kershaw, and Red Taylor have in common with each other?
Why, that’s easy! Anybody who loves traditional Bluegrass like we do at MonManCamp knows that these are all some of country and bluegrass music’s premiere artistic personalities. But they were also all part of one of Bill Monroe’s most innovative and creative periods, a slice of time between 1950-1958 we call the “Hard-Edged High Lonesome Sound”. This year we have chosen to bear down and look at the music of the decade that gave us some of the most enduring and popular material that is still heard today as well as some of the most emotionally raw and gut-wrenching songs in Monroe’s catalogue.
We have a great lineup on staff to guide you and help you “really play it right” as Mr. Bill would say. Whether you’re a fan of banjo, fiddle, mandolin, bass, guitar or vocals we can help you get further along on your journey in a fun and inclusive environment. Young learn from the young at heart; southerners jam side-by-side with northerners; long-timers play side by side with beginners… All come together as a dynamic community to learn the music Bill Monroe created. We pride ourselves on being something of an incubator to the next generation of traditional bluegrass players, who will carry the #monroestyle, #flattstyle, #scruggsstyle, and #bakerstyle into the future. Also, let us not forget morning yoga and the pig roast! Or, if you just want to hang out with a really good bunch of folks the MonManCamp’23 is a good destination for you. We’re looking forward to seeing our old friends all back again and if you’re new to MMC we’d love to have you!
Life is good.
Sign-Up and get full access to the following:
- World Class Instructors who understand the music, culture, folkloric stories, and the traditions that make up original, traditional Bluegrass music.
- 100-Plus Classes for Mandolin, Fiddle, Banjo, Harmony Singing, Guitar, Upright Bass, Old-Time Mandolin, and Songwriting. You may take classes on any and all instruments—you are not tied down to just one track. If your car is big enough, bring them all! (Fiddle and Banjo classes are structured for the intermediate player level and above.)
- Special Presentations: This year we are thrilled to announce three very special afternoon presentations: Award winning podcaster, Daniel Patrick will be recording live a panel discussion for a broadcast of the “Mandolins and Beer” Podcast. We are also doing a “Mando Tasting” on Wednesday…where instructors will pick up, talk about, and play a variety of instruments. This is also being recorded live for a later podcast broadcast. We also have “The Tennessee Bluegrass Band” pull double duty with both a special “Band Dynamics” presentation, as well as providing master coachings for our Band Scrambles! Additional special elective classes include Daily Yoga and Stretching for Injury Prevention in The Care of A Musician, String Changing 101, a Band Scramble Competition, and more!
- Band Scramble: This year we will have a band scramble concert featuring our participants! What makes this extra cool is that the Tennessee Bluegrass Band will also do some live master class coaching with these thrown together bands, for hands-on tips and suggestions!
- Daily Instructor-Led Jams with additional instrumental support. Jams are organized into all levels, including novice/beginner, slow, intermediate, fast, and old-time.
- 2023 MonManCamp Manual Support materials/handouts for every class are bound and pre-printed into a custom bespoke camp manual book. This resource book contains all music tablature, notation, links to instructor tutorial videos, and additional resource materials presented during camp, and includes class schedules, class descriptions, venue maps, etc.
- Tour of Birthplace of Country Music, Bristol, TN on Friday prior to…
- A Night of Monroe’s Bluegrass Classics Instructor Concert, at the Birthplace of Country Music, which will also be live-broadcast on Radio Bristol.
- Hot catered meals and nearby lodging to our venue reserved for exclusive use by MMC participants only. No curfew times for jamming…your the two biggest decisions are which classes to choose, and how much sleep you need!
- Over $4,000 of Scholarship money to be awarded!
- A hand made, custom one-of-a kind mandolin case made by Cody Shuler/ Cody Mandolin Case will be raffled off at camp.
- Member’s Only Group: Once registered you’ll be invited to join a group for members only. It offers additional community, support, and learning opportunities, including gatherings, a Tune-of-the-Month, and special events with guest artists, discussing various music-related topics.
- A community of like-minded musicians who are supportive, encouraging, and have a great time together!